"Discussion" Level of Pretend Scholars at degreediscussion.com
#5
Geoff?Vankirk Wrote:
Vice Wrote:That`s a post I made on degreediscussion.com in response to levicoff on July 14:

levicoff wrote:
Now, the Bible says we should never say about anyone, "Raca!" - in other words, never call a person a fool. So I won't. I'll just stick to calling Muhammed a fraud and a rip-off. And, despite any knowledge of exegesis he may have, an incompetent nincompoop when it comes to research.

Levicoff, if you quote "raca" from the Bible, please take more care to be exact. Raca for example occurs in the Greek text of Mt. 5:22 but is not a Greek but an original Aramaic word (the Greek word would most likely be moros ). The original meaning of Aramaic Raca could be rendered more precisely as "a brainless person who is incapable of life because of that"...lol. Now, fool would not be the appropriate English translation as there is much more in the original meaning of that Aramaic word. To whom you or I may apply this term is a question that I want to leave undebated here as this seems to be too much far-off topic...lol.


http://www.degreediscussion.com/forums/v...a&start=45


In return, I got the follwing reply from a Jimmy poster on July 14:

Vice wrote:...Levicoff, if you quote "raca" from the Bible, please take more care to be exact. Raca for example occurs in the Greek text of Mt. 5:22 but is not as Greek but an original Aramaic word (the Greek word would most likely be moros ). The original meaning of Aramaic Raca could be rendered more precisely as "a brainless person who is incapable of life because of that"...lol. Now, fool would not be the appropriate English translation as there is much more in the original meaning of that Aramaic word. To whom you or I may apply this term is a question that I want to leave undebated here as this seems to be too much far-off topic...lol.


Actaully, Mr. Schmidt, a number of Assyrian scholars state that "Raca" means "I spit on you."

http://www.degreediscussion.com/forums/v...a&start=60

In the footline of his post, the Jimmy poster has this text:
True evangelical faith cannot lie dormant. It clothes the naked, feeds the hungry, comforts the sorrowful, shelters the destitute, serves those that harm it and binds up that which is wounded. Menno Simons
Jimmy


BTW, that "Jimmy" poster is confusing "Assyrian Studies" with the Aramaic of the New Testament period. Where did "Jimmy" say he got his degree from?

That's the kind of level that pretend scholars at degreediscussion.com use to communicate. Is that something one could call "brainless" and really is non-scholarly-like?

"Jimmy" is the Rev. Jimmy Clifton and he's an ally of Bill Grover and the late Rev. Weaver-Hudson. He has several unaccredited degrees, one accredited degree and a certificate in locksmithing from some DL vocational institute. He is also some type of therapist or social worker and involved with his church as a part time pastor. If you guessed that he's old and has one foot in the grave you'd be right. Some of the posters here like him for whatever reason. I don't, I think that he's an asshole.

Thanks for the info on "Jimmy". I am sure this guy is not aware of the disctinction between Assyrian Studies and NT Aramaic. As a social worker, he may be a total failure considering his tone.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: "Discussion" Level of Pretend Scholars at degreediscussion.com - by Vice - 07-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Follow-up on "shithead" etymology - by Vice - 07-17-2009, 03:02 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)