Fitzwilliam Institute
Hello everyone,

first of all congratulations for this forum with all these useful information concerning DL programs.

Recently I found the Fitzwilliam Institute (Ireland) and I'd like to know if you have any information about the value of their diplomas. I'm interested in Post Graduate Diploma in Oracle DB development (also in Java).

The URL is the following: http://www.fitzwilliaminstitute.ie

Sincerely,
Picolo

ps: sorry for this thread that I have already posted to the dd
(03-12-2011, 09:05 AM)picolo Wrote: ps: sorry for this thread that I have already posted to the dd

As well you should be. Wink

Fitzwilliam appears to be a legit DL trade school. They offer only diplomas, not degrees. The "accreditation" they boast is not the government sort we typically think of in the US, but rather program accreditation through various trade groups (e.g., Association of Advertisers in Ireland, Public Relations Institute of Ireland, etc.).

A similar Irish school with a broader curriculum is ITEC.

Similar US schools are Penn Foster, Stratford Career Institute, and US Career Institute. As Smokey Robinson said, don't be sold on the very first one--shop around.
(03-12-2011, 09:00 PM)Armando Ramos Wrote:
(03-12-2011, 09:05 AM)picolo Wrote: ps: sorry for this thread that I have already posted to the dd

As well you should be. Wink

Fitzwilliam appears to be a legit DL trade school. They offer only diplomas, not degrees. The "accreditation" they boast is not the government sort we typically think of in the US, but rather program accreditation through various trade groups (e.g., Association of Advertisers in Ireland, Public Relations Institute of Ireland, etc.).

A similar Irish school with a broader curriculum is ITEC.

Similar US schools are Penn Foster, Stratford Career Institute, and US Career Institute. As Smokey Robinson said, don't be sold on the very first one--shop around.

Hello Armando,

thank you for answering! So according to you, the Post-Graduate diplomas that they offer are not a "real" PGd.

Thank you!
Picolo
(03-13-2011, 12:50 AM)picolo Wrote: So according to you, the Post-Graduate diplomas that they offer are not a "real" PGd.

According to me no such thing. I said the school is legit, I said nothing about the "reality" of their diplomas. They might be able to help you learn some "real" skills so you can get a "real" job making "real" money doing "real" work. Will your non-academic credits get accepted at an academic school? Probably not.

A VW is relatively cheap and functional for its intended purpose, but it has its limitations. Does that mean it's not "real"? If you want a Mercedes don't shop at a VW dealer.
(03-13-2011, 08:54 AM)Armando Ramos Wrote:
(03-13-2011, 12:50 AM)picolo Wrote: So according to you, the Post-Graduate diplomas that they offer are not a "real" PGd.

According to me no such thing. I said the school is legit, I said nothing about the "reality" of their diplomas. They might be able to help you learn some "real" skills so you can get a "real" job making "real" money doing "real" work. Will your non-academic credits get accepted at an academic school? Probably not.

A VW is relatively cheap and functional for its intended purpose, but it has its limitations. Does that mean it's not "real"? If you want a Mercedes don't shop at a VW dealer.

Hello Armando,

my expression was wrong, I'm sorry.

Thanks a lot!
I completed the Postgraduate Diploma in Digital Marketing with the Fitzwilliam Institute Group, Dublin, Ireland in 2017. I did the online distance learning course.
Regarding the course, It was very much outdated, poorly put together, spelling and grammatical mistakes were rampant throughout the entire course. Moreover, the course mostly linked to 3rd party websites, some of which were no longer public due to how outdated this course was. The course teaches you about Bebo. Bebo stopped trading many years ago. This company is more about you researching =, searching online than being provided with any relevant information about the real contemporary world of Digital Marketing. This course lacks credibility and under no circumstances will leave you enriched with additional knowledge. I personally felt I could have lectured this course much better, with relevant contemporary methods, strategies and engaging content, including the necessary tools in digital marketing. This course is also very vague lacking clear instructions for assignments. Moreover, it gives me a strong impression that the people working for this company have very little knowledge of Digital Marketing.
I did write a letter to Fitzwilliam Institute to outline some of my concerns; they provided access to the newer ''same course'' that was still lacking. Nothing learned. Fitzwilliam Institute does not address modern contemporary Digital Marketing, SEO, SEM, PPC or Social Media; there is no mention of Social Listening.
I am very disappointed I did this course. If I have seen the course content before paying, I would never have enrolled. Moreover, few employers recognised Fitzwilliam Institute and seen very little value to them when mentioned.
I received a distinction, having received over 94% in the PGDip. The level of quality of this course is lacking and well below the standard that would be expected at any other credible institution. This would never bee accepted at DCU, Trinity or UCD.
I was asked to provide a testimonial at the end of the course but declined as it would only be negative, and likely not published on their website. Regarding the last comment before my feedback, I disagree completely; this course was so simple. If you want to learn, Digital Marketing go elsewhere.
Thank you for this testimonial.? This type of first hand experience explained helps us all.
From the looks of it this institution offers courses but not degrees. They are also very limited in the types of courses they offer. Still it seems legit.
DO NOT GIVE THEM MONEY.

I did the java web programming coarse with them and it was a sham. I paid $2k and got some pdfs.
The content was woefully outdated and badly conceived. In fact it would have been easier to learn the subject without their materials as it was so old and badly put together that it was misleading.
The "expert" hardly ever replied, took days and weeks to reply, had a sh*t attitude and didn't actually offer any meaningful help. He gave 100% to every exercise even if it wasn't completed.

The consultation is a sales meeting. What do they have to loose, $2K for some PDFs.

Finally the course was completely misrepresented. They said that the course was accredited by the Institute of Commercial Management.
It turns out that the Institute of Commercial Management told them to stop saying that they accredited the course as they didn't. However they issued the diplomas with their name on them. Yes if it smells like a scam, looks like a scam and feels like a scam. It's a scam.

DO NOT GIVE THEM MONEY.