DL Truth: Distance Learning Truth
Who Are The 135 Feds w/SRU Diplomas? - Printable Version

+- DL Truth: Distance Learning Truth (http://www.dltruth.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion (http://www.dltruth.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Education Discussions (http://www.dltruth.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Who Are The 135 Feds w/SRU Diplomas? (/thread-288.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Who Are The 135 Feds w/SRU Diplomas? - Armando Ramos - 06-21-2008

Trial that could out feds alleged to have bogus degrees delayed

Now that there will be no trial, will we ever learn the identity of the 135 feds who bought SRU degrees?

RE: Who Are The 135 Feds w/SRU Diplomas? - Ben Johnson - 06-22-2008

Armando Ramos Wrote:Trial that could out feds alleged to have bogus degrees delayed

Now that there will be no trial, will we ever learn the identity of the 135 feds who bought SRU degrees?

The US attorneys must have been relieved when the case ended without trial. We probably would have found that Liberia did accredit St. Regis and the US government was responsible for Liberia withdrawing accreditation, laying the way for charges.

It sure is lucky that the Secret Service and the FBI had all the real crimes solved so they had time to put so much effort into the St. Regis case. I'm sure if the defendants were not old and severely ill they would have considered fighting the case to the end. But they settled because the crime was minor and there is little liklihood of a tough sentence. If they lock Steve in jail, they better have the best standard of heart disease care readily available or Dixie could still end up a millionaire.

RE: Who Are The 135 Feds w/SRU Diplomas? - Herbert Spencer - 07-01-2008

Armando Ramos Wrote:Now that there will be no trial, will we ever learn the identity of the 135 feds who bought SRU degrees?

Looks like the total is actually 350, according to this article.  (Another nice round number.  You don't suppose these "journalists" make 'em up?)

BTW, according to the article Dixie gets sentenced this Wednesday (7-2).  I'm not a big fan of diploma mills, but I am a big fan of justice.  Let's hope she gets a judge with some common sense.  Considering this was a thoroughly trumped up charge to begin with (this was, at worst, an FTC action where a cease & desist would have been appropriate, except even the FTC wasn't interested), jail time seems absurd.  If Pellar got 8 months on 9 counts, logic suggests a lot less for only one count.  Also add the fact that, unlike Pellar, Dixie doesn't have any previous convictions for attempted murder or fraud.

What's the over-and-under for actual jail time?  If it's 30 days, I'd still take the under.

RE: Who Are The 135 Feds w/SRU Diplomas? - Little Arminius - 07-01-2008

My prediction for Dixie's sentence:

time served (amount of time in custody until she bonded out)
6 months home confinement w/ electronic monitoring
36 months supervised release (under the supervision of a U.S. Probation & Parole officer)
some type of fine
court costs + cost of electronic monitoring

RE: Who Are The 135 Feds w/SRU Diplomas? - Don Dresden - 07-02-2008

Little Arminius Wrote:My prediction for Dixie's sentence:

time served (amount of time in custody until she bonded out)
6 months home confinement w/ electronic monitoring
36 months supervised release (under the supervision of a U.S. Probation & Parole officer)
some type of fine
court costs + cost of electronic monitoring

Here's the sentence the marshal with the SRU degree got today (July 1), from another judge:
Quote:A former supervisor for the U.S. Marshals Service was sentenced today for lying on a federal job promotion application after buying a phony college degree from a Spokane-based diploma mill.

David F. Brodhagen was placed on two years probation, fined $500 and ordered to complete 80 hours of community service by visiting Senior U.S. District Court Judge John C. Coughenour from Seattle.

...Accepting responsibility for the crime “was the important thing," the judge said.

Deputy marshal sentenced for lying

Nice fish hack writing.  Presumably he meant that Judge Coughenour ordered Brodhagen to complete 80 hours of community service, not that he was ordered to visit with the judge for 80 hours.  But since visiting with the judges and clerks is pretty much all deputy marshals do to earn their $96,292 anyway, maybe not.

Since Dixie isn't pals with any judges, can she still expect the same kind of light sentence?  Since Dixie never defrauded or damaged anyone, how can she "accept responsibility" for anything?

RE: Who Are The 135 Feds w/SRU Diplomas? - Ben Johnson - 07-06-2008

Don Dresden Wrote:Since Dixie never defrauded or damaged anyone, how can she "accept responsibility" for anything?

I would guess the complainants that eventually did surface were federal civil servants who were given the choice to complain or lose their job. It must be nice to have the authority to force someone to file a false complaint in order to keep their livlihood. What a country!

RE: Who Are The 135 Feds w/SRU Diplomas? - Herbert Spencer - 07-06-2008

Ben Johnson Wrote:I would guess the complainants that eventually did surface were federal civil servants who were given the choice to complain or lose their job.  

This from investigator Brian Breen's declaration:
Quote:However, it should be noted that the government conducted national advertising to search for the "victims" of these defendants. The government implemented a toll free number and requested that any persons who felt that they were victimized call. Of the thousands of alleged degreeholders, the government received approximately only l8 calls. The majority of these calls were the result of the government specifically and individually contacting "victims" or the owners of affiliate schools and instructing them to call or have their clients call the l-800 number.

http://www.dltruth.com/attachment.php?aid=45

RE: Who Are The 135 Feds w/SRU Diplomas? - Armando Ramos - 07-08-2008

Diploma mill names will be kept secret

Quote:Diploma mill names will be kept secret

BILL MORLIN; The (Spokane) Spokesman-Review
Published: July 7th, 2008 01:00 AM

Operators of a Spokane diploma mill are heading to federal prison, while senior Justice Department officials say they are going to keep secret the names of the 10,815 buyers who used the bogus and counterfeit degrees to get jobs, promotions and enhanced retirements.

James McDevitt, the U.S. attorney for Eastern Washington, reversed his earlier public promise to release the names, saying last week that a Justice Department policy prevents him from releasing them.

The region’s senior federal law enforcement official took that stand Wednesday after one of his staff prosecutors, assistant U.S. attorney George J.C. Jacobs, said in court that the buyers’ use of such bogus degrees in the health care, engineering and other professions “puts the public at risk.”

“I was hoping at some time we could release the list of names of these buyers,” McDevitt said in an interview. “I’d love to release the list, but I’ve been convinced it would be contrary to (Department of Justice) policy,” he said.

That decision is expected to draw criticism from higher education and academic accreditation agencies, as well as open-government groups.

“I can’t imagine why they would not make this information public,” a woman who works at a Spokane-area college said Thursday in an e-mail requesting buyers’ names from The Spokesman-Review.

“Who are they trying to protect?” she asked. .

McDevitt said the task force investigation did forward the buyers list to the federal Office of Personnel Management – the federal employee clearinghouse – in the hope that the agency will forward identities of federal employees to the appropriate agencies. The federal agency has refused federal Freedom of Information Act requests for the information.

Court hearings in the Spokane case disclosed that at least one of the purchasers worked in the White House and dozens of others were Department of Defense employees. One Army enlisted man became an officer and went off to lead soldiers in Iraq with one of the Spokane degrees, according to court testimony and documents.

McDevitt’s office did file as public record a detailed analysis of “Operation Gold Shield,” the four-year investigation that led to the indictment and conviction of Dixie Ellen Randock, of Colbert, and seven others.

The analysis shows 7,298 degrees were sold throughout the United States and 9,165 more to purchasers in 130 countries around the world. Some purchasers bought multiple degrees from the Spokane-based operation, which also sold counterfeit diplomas from real universities.

The Spokane diploma mill sold to 32 individuals living in what the U.S. State Department labels “terrorist nation states,” including Iran and Syria, and more than 100 others in a half dozen other countries in the Middle East and Latin America that harbor terrorist groups. Their names are on the same buyers list that’s being kept from the public.

RE: Who Are The 135 Feds w/SRU Diplomas? - ham - 07-08-2008

Quote:Court hearings in the Spokane case disclosed that at least one of the purchasers worked in the White House and dozens of others were Department of Defense employees. One Army enlisted man became an officer and went off to lead soldiers in Iraq with one of the Spokane degrees, according to court testimony and documents.

what was George doing?
and big brother?

RE: Who Are The 135 Feds w/SRU Diplomas? - Ben Johnson - 07-08-2008

Quote:Court hearings in the Spokane case disclosed that at least one of the purchasers worked in the White House and dozens of others were Department of Defense employees. One Army enlisted man became an officer and went off to lead soldiers in Iraq with one of the Spokane degrees, according to court testimony and documents.

[/quote]

I've known dozens of officers without university degrees who led men in war. They whipped the Nazis.