DL Truth: Distance Learning Truth

Full Version: Warren National University students and former students sue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I actually verified this information by contacting the firm. It looks like students, both current and former may be suing the said institution for making promises they cannot keep.

If anyone wants to contact the law firm they can do so here...
http://www.rothgerber.com
Virtual Bison Wrote:I actually verified this information by contacting the firm. It looks like students, both current and former may be suing the said institution for making promises they cannot keep.

Two things:

I really doubt that KW/WN made any false claims. I suspect some students may have read things that weren't there. Maybe they should sue the state for the changing circumstances.

I suspect that if WN were solvent they would have continued operations. Forcing a bankrupt company into formal bankruptcy is hardly a victory.
Dennis Ruhl Wrote:
Virtual Bison Wrote:I actually verified this information by contacting the firm. It looks like students, both current and former may be suing the said institution for making promises they cannot keep.

Two things:

I really doubt that KW/WN made any false claims.  I suspect some students may have read things that weren't there.  Maybe they should sue the state for the changing circumstances.

I suspect that if WN were solvent they would have continued operations.  Forcing a bankrupt company into formal bankruptcy is hardly a victory.
Perhaps you are right. I think the suit is for the benefit of students who actually are still enrolled.

I cannot say whether or not this suit is ethical. I am merely reporting the facts.
Student stuck with loans when college abruptly closes

Quote:In addition, many private lenders have close relationships with colleges and trade schools to market their products. Some schools, including ones that are improperly licensed or uncertified, use those relationships to attract students who want affordable education and access to financing.

Warren National University is a good example. It linked prospective students to Wells Fargo through its website.

Wells Fargo apparently had no problem with the school's reputation as a diploma mill or its lack of accreditation.

Sounds like Wells Fargo might have more to worry about than WNU.  Although, if Warren can provide their students with a teachout it seems like any lawsuit on that basis probably would be rendered moot.  

From the Warren website:
Quote:Update - February 17, 2009; Preston University recently informed Warren National University that Preston University did not receive a required extension of their license from the State of Alabama. Until such time as Preston University receives necessary and appropriate degree granting authority, the University cannot recommend Preston as a transfer destination for our students.

Warren National University is in discussions with other institutions to provide te [sic] opportunity for WNU students to continue their studies. We hope to be able to provide students with other viable enrollment opportunities in the very near future.

http://www.wnuedu.com/

Any guesses as to who?  Columbia Commonwealth?  Rutherford?
Armando Ramos Wrote:Any guesses as to who? Columbia Commonwealth? Rutherford?

Columbia Commonwealth suffered from the same manure stained jackboots as WNU and is gone.

I suspect that were WNU in a financial situation to continue, California would be a place to temporarily continue for purposes of a teach out of existing students. No license needed.
Armando Ramos Wrote:Student stuck with loans when college abruptly closes

Quote:In addition, many private lenders have close relationships with colleges and trade schools to market their products. Some schools, including ones that are improperly licensed or uncertified, use those relationships to attract students who want affordable education and access to financing.

Warren National University is a good example. It linked prospective students to Wells Fargo through its website.

Wells Fargo apparently had no problem with the school's reputation as a diploma mill or its lack of accreditation.

Sounds like Wells Fargo might have more to worry about than WNU.  Although, if Warren can provide their students with a teachout it seems like any lawsuit on that basis probably would be rendered moot.  

From the Warren website:
Quote:Update - February 17, 2009; Preston University recently informed Warren National University that Preston University did not receive a required extension of their license from the State of Alabama. Until such time as Preston University receives necessary and appropriate degree granting authority, the University cannot recommend Preston as a transfer destination for our students.

Warren National University is in discussions with other institutions to provide te [sic] opportunity for WNU students to continue their studies. We hope to be able to provide students with other viable enrollment opportunities in the very near future.

http://www.wnuedu.com/

Any guesses as to who?  Columbia Commonwealth?  Rutherford?
Don't know. I can assume good faith.

Its even possible that WNU will revive it self somewhere else.

Fort Bragg Wrote:
Armando Ramos Wrote:Any guesses as to who?  Columbia Commonwealth?  Rutherford?

Columbia Commonwealth suffered from the same manure stained jackboots as WNU and is gone.

I suspect that were WNU in a financial situation to continue, California would be a place to temporarily continue for purposes of a teach out of existing students.  No license needed.
I think its also possible to relocate in another country. I believe that Switzerland has pretty liberal laws when it comes to higher education. France is also very loose.
Quote:I think its also possible to relocate in another country. I believe that Switzerland has pretty liberal laws when it comes to higher education. France is also very loose.

You may want to reconsider your statement here. Higher education in Europe I am familiar with is guided by strong governmental bodies and regulations.
Virtual Bison Wrote:I think its also possible to relocate in another country. I believe that Switzerland has pretty liberal laws when it comes to higher education. France is also very loose.

What a European can do in Europe may be a lot different than what a failed American school can do in Europe.

A lot of the criticism of specific European schools by some arseholes on certain distance ed forums may not be exactly as they tell it. Private universities may be a lot better than some people with an agenda claim.
ham Wrote:
Quote:I think its also possible to relocate in another country. I believe that Switzerland has pretty liberal laws when it comes to higher education. France is also very loose.

You may want to reconsider your statement here. Higher education in Europe I am familiar with is guided by strong governmental bodies and regulations.

French law does allow schools to grant degrees based on 100% life experience.

Check out this school...
http://www.sorbon.fr/
Quote:French law does allow schools to grant degrees based on 100% life experience.

Check out this school...
http://www.sorbon.fr/

That is a degree mill exposed many years ago as such.
If you want to know how things really are, see here:

http://online.degree.net/accredited-unac...-2587.html

VAE=PLAR in French...that's all.
Pages: 1 2