DL Truth: Distance Learning Truth

Full Version: Northcentral U Nixes DETC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The school that has the LEAST respected doctoral graduates decided they weren't the problem, DETC schools were.

Thread fron Gooseville:

http://www.degreeinfo.com/showthread.php?t=30158

This is the same school that accepted unaccredited degrees from a school founded by the same owner, SCUPS.  SCUPS wasn't only unaccredited, it failed to get national accreditation.  This is the same school that is on a short accreditation renewal because the NCA thinks it sucks.

This is the same school that had people at degreeinfo quitting because they thought doctoral level courses should be difficult.  This is the same school with some students and graduates posting who seem challenged in the area of literacy.  This is a joke.

If they are trying to convince the NCA that this is tightening up and they should otherwise get a free ride on accreditation renewal - wrong.  The regional accreditors love national accreditors.  I think they would prefer the GRE or GMAT as a selection procedure.

One thing to keep in mind is that if Northcentral fails in its accreditation renewal many DETC schools will hold their nose and accept the credits.

Correction - it's on Tailpipeville. Since Janko died there are no posts at Gooseville.
This makes about as much sense as anything else they do at NCU, i.e., none.  Can't imagine NCU would be doing this unless someone told them to.

I'm thinking it's the NCACS's way of saying "you gotta quit taking all those lame SCUPS credits towards an RA doctorate" without actually saying it.  

Since SCUPS (Cal Southern) is applying for DETC they can't tell NCU not to take only unaccredited credits in case SCUPS actually lucks out and gets DETC accreditation.  So they just said screw it, no DETC from anybody either, no nothing but RA.

Plus who knows what all else NCU has been taking in transfer.  They had all kinds of connections with diploma mills overseas (besides SCUPS) and might have been taking that stuff as well.

This makes those charges of "administrative chaos" at NCU continue to ring true.  Just one more reason to steer clear of the place.  There are plenty of other schools that welcome DETC credits, so why think twice about a place that probably won't even be awarding doctorates by the time you graduate.
Albert Hidel Wrote:I'm thinking it's the NCACS's way of saying "you gotta quit taking all those lame SCUPS credits towards an RA doctorate" without actually saying it.  

Since SCUPS (Cal Southern) is applying for DETC they can't tell NCU not to take only unaccredited credits in case SCUPS actually lucks out and gets DETC accreditation.  So they just said screw it, no DETC from anybody either, no nothing but RA.

The regionals typically have no position on national accreditation because of their monopoly position. If NCA has such a requirement, it's time to call the Justice Department.

Albert Hidel Wrote:Plus who knows what all else NCU has been taking in transfer.  They had all kinds of connections with diploma mills overseas (besides SCUPS) and might have been taking that stuff as well.

Some of their overseas operations have been questioned in the past.

Albert Hidel Wrote:This makes those charges of "administrative chaos" at NCU continue to ring true.  Just one more reason to steer clear of the place. 

I wonder if the old accused degreemill operator wasn't overwhelmed by success.

Albert Hidel Wrote:There are plenty of other schools that welcome DETC credits, so why think twice about a place that probably won't even be awarding doctorates by the time you graduate.

One has to question entering a program late in the accreditation cycle.
Dennis Ruhl Wrote:The school that has the LEAST respected doctoral graduates decided they weren't the problem, DETC schools were.

Thread fron Gooseville:

http://www.degreeinfo.com/showthread.php?t=30158

This is the same school that accepted unaccredited degrees from a school founded by the same owner, SCUPS.  SCUPS wasn't only unaccredited, it failed to get national accreditation.  This is the same school that is on a short accreditation renewal because the NCA thinks it sucks.

This is the same school that had people at degreeinfo quitting because they thought doctoral level courses should be difficult.  This is the same school with some students and graduates posting who seem challenged in the area of literacy.  This is a joke.

If they are trying to convince the NCA that this is tightening up and they should otherwise get a free ride on accreditation renewal - wrong.  The regional accreditors love national accreditors.  I think they would prefer the GRE or GMAT as a selection procedure.

One thing to keep in mind is that if Northcentral fails in its accreditation renewal many DETC schools will hold their nose and accept the credits.

Correction - it's on Tailpipeville.  Since Janko died there are no posts at Gooseville.

Dennis,
I see you stop posting at degreeinfo for a while(even though you occasionally spy  and go back and forth), and I suspect that your rant against of some degreeinfo members may have come due to your position here in this post http://degreeinfo.com/showthread.php?t=14319, while I am not a big fan of certain schools and some operations that they had in the past, they had change most if not all their shady practices, which let me personally to come back and try them again(except SCUps aka California Southern University), as I have mention before, NCU is not for everyone, and certainly is a young school, but for the all the online school out there, they are ok, and of course there is much room for improvement and they have improve a lot.
DBAinAccounting Wrote:Dennis,
I see you stop posting at degreeinfo for a while(even though you occasionally spy  and go back and forth), and I suspect that your rant against of some degreeinfo members may have come due to your position here in this post http://degreeinfo.com/showthread.php?t=14319, while I am not a big fan of certain schools and some operations that they had in the past, they had change most if not all their shady practices, which let me personally to come back and try them again(except SCUps aka California Southern University), as I have mention before, NCU is not for everyone, and certainly is a young school, but for the all the online school out there, they are ok, and of course there is much room for improvement and they have improve a lot.

That thread is indicative of a lot of degreeinfo threads in which I was involved. One of those nice gentlemen threatened to kill me and the dickless cop Bruce did nothing about it. I did not quit. I was booted for my opinions. Just about everyone here was booted for their opinion. Don't you ever wonder why no-one at degreeinfo ever disagrees with the accepted wisdom.

I go back there to visit but post any reply here. I could simply re-register with a new name and email but would soon be booted because my opinions wouldn't be up to snuff. I'm a big person and could handle all the abuse. They couldn't handle me.
Dennis Ruhl Wrote:
DBAinAccounting Wrote:Dennis,

That thread is indicative of a lot of degreeinfo threads in which I was involved.  One of those nice gentlemen threatened to kill me and the dickless cop Bruce did nothing about it.  I did not quit.  I was booted for my opinions.  Just about everyone here was booted for their opinion.  Don't you ever wonder why no-one at degreeinfo ever disagrees with the accepted wisdom.

I go back there to visit but post any reply here.  I could simply re-register with a new name and email but would soon be booted because my opinions wouldn't be up to snuff.  I'm a big person and could handle all the abuse.  They couldn't handle me.

I had my share of disagreement with some of them, yet I have not been boot out, I guess it would be how things are said, I have pointed out things, but from indirect stand of point of view. Either they do not get it or do not want to get it, take your pick. I would like to see more objective ideas, which contributes to knowledge. Anyway, I hope one day civility comes back to the distance learning, but let's face it was much worse before.

"It is not sufficient to know what to say - one must also know how to say it" -- Aristotle
Sub-bottom tier accredited schools that graduate hundreds of doctors each year are somehow supposed to be better than state approved schools and so much more useful. I remain doubtful. I wonder what percentage of these doctors gain real academic positions at real universities. <1%? I am not talking about teaching at community colleges. I did that with a bachelors. I am not talking adjunct positions. Perhaps the fraud is not the unaccredited school offering a doctorate for $5,000 but the accredited school selling a doctorate and a dream for $30- 80,000.
Quote:I had my share of disagreement with some of them, yet I have not been boot out, I guess it would be how things are said

I always get that funny line.
To me that's nonsense.
Certain people just do not want to hear ANYTHING about or to the effect of something, period.
For example, some people don't want to hear the word 'minority' and 'crime statistics' in the same phrase, no matter how you shape it.
Others don't want to hear doubts about the fact that the 'trophy wife' they have brokered for themselves online from Kazakhstan or Thailand may be an opportunist.
Others don't want to hear that you don't give a f-ck about them, the cliques, inner circles and other 'secret handshake societies' they amuse themselves with online. I especially love this one: I don't have to 'prove' anything to anybody, go figure to online ghosts who may be deviants, peddlers, psychotherapy rejects, con men, impersonators, drama queens...
Face it, the internet is full of 'funny' people...you may try not to step on their feet...I did at degreeinfo...but those people have VERY BIG feet and you're doomed to step on them one day or another.

Quote:I'm on vacation this week. I've spent most of the day outside, pruning the fruit trees, seeding the pastures, fall mowing. Now, I'm clean and dry and I have a full glass of pinot grigio inside. I've come back to this thread because the premise has always bothered me.

Take this...
Who does this oddball think s-he is?
It reads like the first paragraph of a modernist novel.
Of course in real life the individual is more likely to be Sally who brings you the coke & french fries or Bubba who has actually fried those fries.
People very rarely, if at all, conform to their online persona, typically the usual charismatic, over-inflated, mesmerizing, larger-than-life portrait.
Take the finally departed uncle Janko...
His online persona was that of a living multi-lingual encyclopaedia, so you gullible internet lurker picture yourself some aging scholar with seven doctorates from the likes of Harvard...wrong: he had taken 12 years to squeeze one from a university in Zululand... the online cartoon bragging about his mansion and actually living in a trailer...
Dennis Ruhl Wrote:Sub-bottom tier accredited schools that graduate hundreds of doctors each year are somehow supposed to be better than state approved schools and so much more useful.  I remain doubtful.  I wonder what percentage of these doctors gain real academic positions at real universities.  <1%?  I am not talking about teaching at community colleges.  I did that with a bachelors.  I am not talking adjunct positions.  Perhaps the fraud is not the unaccredited school offering a doctorate for $5,000 but the accredited school selling a doctorate and a dream for $30- 80,000.

I have an unaccredited doctorate degree from California Pacific University and I can tell you the learning methodology was good and grounded, if compared against NCU, I would said CPU is par to NCU, the reality is that NCU is accredited and CPU is not, about the price I have to agree that 30K to 80K is very stiff to get an education.

NCU provided me an opportunity to get a regional accredited doctorate degree for about 15K(the cost of average master's degree) so I took it, the other places that you can get an accredited doctorate for about 15K are some other DECT schools, but they have many limitations. So, for me the NCU situation worked just fine, because I was in the right time and had the right resources.
DBAinAccounting Wrote:NCU provided me an opportunity to get a regional accredited doctorate degree for about 15K(the cost of average master's degree) so I took it, the other places that you can get an accredited doctorate for about 15K are some other DECT schools, but they have many limitations. So, for me the NCU situation worked just fine, because I was in the right time and had the right resources.

Isn't the DBA now 30K? Congrats on the 2 doctorates.

I doubt that the sub bottom tier accredited schools are substantially different from many California Approved(OK, OK) schools. I suspect a lot of cost is added simply because they need to have the right replies to 100 plus pages of accreditation questions.

As I've said 100 times accreditation is only a measure of inputs that should provide a certain quality of output. Accreditation is not a direct measure of such output.

That reminds me, I have to finish off my DBA soon or they will want more money. Under 5K for an MBA and DBA wasn't all that bad.
Pages: 1 2