DL Truth: Distance Learning Truth

Full Version: Gus Silent on DegreeDiscussion's 2nd Anniversary
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I believe that January 15 was DD's 2nd anniversary. I'm really suprised that Gus didn't grace the membership with so much as a commemorative post. Any bets on whether DD makes it to a 3rd anniversary?
You'd miss DD, though-- where else would you find material to complaiin about?
Good point!
I expect that DD will continue on. It's their life, what else can they do? Besides, I'm not that lucky. Smile
Little Arminius Wrote:I believe that January 15 was DD's 2nd anniversary. I'm really suprised that Gus didn't grace the membership with so much as a commemorative post. Any bets on whether DD makes it to a 3rd anniversary?

I'd be surprised if it makes it through to a 3rd anniversary. Gus has obviously lost interest and has posted rarely over the last six months. He has, however, had other things on his mind! When DD folds the gang will head straight back to DI - where I see some have already taken up residence.
Randall Flagg Wrote:I expect that DD will continue on. It's their life, what else can they do? Besides, I'm not that lucky. Smile

I know at least another couple example (in totally unrelated fields) when cliques of clowns & keyboard sociopaths relocated to a new forum en masse, once they were evicted from a old one; the forum changed hands or something.
It is their life; the biggest shot at bullying since being victims in school...and be the bully.
They need nannies ( Chip White, Sainz ) who will rescue them when the kid in the sandbox next to them reacts to their bullying and they are all confused and scared for looking like complete idiots and not like the keyboard version of intimidating Harry Callaghan.
It is their life; licensed psychotherapy is expensive, while online bullying, impersonation etc are cheap.
Their nannies (Bear, White etc ) very likely have vested interests (selling books, camouflaging indecent business, etc ) and might not love the wild bunch of keyboard sociopaths that much, but hell...they do make noise and they do attract attention, so all the better.
I guess that Gus just felt the urge to post again or ... he secretly checks DLTruth frequently. Within a day of questions about Gus' extended absence from his own forum, Gus makes two quickie posts about 15 minutes apart, both quoting some news articles on mills. It's clear from the lazy posts that Sainz didn't feel any real urge to post or have anything to say. It would appear instead that he wanted to keep the DD natives from getting restless and leaving the reservation.

Thanks once again, Gus. This time your impeccable timing f**ked up my poll. Oh well, ...

Sainz post #1     01/18/08  9:47 AM

Sainz post #2     01/18/08  10:03 AM
I noticed Bear was quoted there:

"It's time-consuming and expensive to get a degree."
--John Bear

But didn't Bear just spend a quarter century assuring us that degrees could be had that were decent and inexpensive in just months. What was all that stuff about CPU being fast and cheap, ditto Fairfax, Greenwich?? he provided a Ph.D to a student in 30 days while running Greenwich. And he now assures us that a degree from TESC in 110 days is just fine, that degrees from Excelsior, say 4 in 21 months are also just Dandy.

So let me see if I understand this. Degrees fast and cheap are good and they are also bad.

I could show a bunch of quotes where Bear, in his guides, brags about how fast and how cheaply he can help you land that degree, accredited or unaccredited, but, all here know this already. Suffice it to say, Bear tells it like he wants at the time he tells it. Fast is good, fast is bad, take your choice.

Now for our little TESC shill Gus. I bet he's back to turn the compost over. All that crap gets too hot if not mixed.
I think that's what makes Bear the master salesman that he is. He offered plenty of advice in his books that was helpful and didn't put a dime in his pocket.

How many people did he steer to Excelsior (formerly Regent and before that the Univ. of the State of NY, back when Bomber received his degree), TESC, COSC, Univ. of Maryland - University College, CSU-Dominguez Hills, UNISA, Univ. of London, Athabasca U, etc., etc., etc.? I remember Bear describing degrees from these schools as "prestigious"; that sure made one feel good about enrolling in these programs.

How about his advice about starting at community colleges and then transferring to an expensive private school for as little as one year? Before that, most people thought that it was a ironclad policy that you have to do at least 66 credits at the degree-granting institution.

What about his advice about CLEP, GRE, military credits thru ACE, evaluation of foreign credits, portfolio assessment (remember Antioch?), the Regent credit bank, etc.?

I could go on and on. The point is Bear developed credibility with the public that thought they knew him through his guides. That's why people bought into CPU, Greenwich, Fairfax, etc. so easily. After all, their hero, Dr. John Bear, the guy with the eponymous guide we used to see in our local public and college libraries, wouldn't be steering them wrong when he told them that an unaccredited school was a good choice in many situations. "Hell", Bear said, "XYZ Univ is a fine school and accreditation isn't far off" - he made it sound like it was merely a goddam formality. It had his approval, he was the world's expert on distance learning, the accrediting agencies were all in awe of him, it was a done f*cking deal!!!

It would be bad enough if JB just left the DL scene with his fat retirement (due to the Heriot-Watt MBA deal) and enjoyed his retirement out of the public eye in N. California. But no, Bear's ego couldn't take him being out of the limelight. Instead, Bear changed his entire philosophical outlook and all the people who had taken his advice and obtained unaccredited degrees were out of luck. He encouraged a bunch of lunatics like Alan Contreras and Gus Sainz to pursue the people who obtained unaccredited degrees like f*cking criminals while he laughed thinking about his giant rollover IRA!!!

I can't wait to see his next act. If I sound really pissed, it's because I am.
Little Arminius Wrote:I believe that January 15 was DD's 2nd anniversary. I'm really suprised that Gus didn't grace the membership with so much as a commemorative post. Any bets on whether DD makes it to a 3rd anniversary?

I see Gus is back posting today - about degree mills. I see he has posted only 570 posts in total, which is about a third of the number of posts from the main RA or NO WAY gang.
Pages: 1 2