DL Truth: Distance Learning Truth

Full Version: Biblical Archaeology by DL?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have any of you guys ever heard of any schools offering a degree in "biblical archaeology" through distance education? The University of Chicago I think, offers an undergrad degree in this field maybe the only one in the nation..
(05-03-2012, 03:35 AM)bigfoot Wrote: [ -> ]Have any of you guys ever heard of any schools offering a degree in "biblical archaeology" through distance education? The University of Chicago I think, offers an undergrad degree in this field maybe the only one in the nation..

Couldn't find any online degrees, but here's a link to some free ebooks: http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/free-ebooks/
(05-03-2012, 03:35 AM)bigfoot Wrote: [ -> ]Have any of you guys ever heard of any schools offering a degree in "biblical archaeology" through distance education?

Not Biblical Archaeology specifically, but unaccredited Atlantic International University offers a Bachelor of Archaeology by distance learning that might be rigged to fit the part.

The fact that Atlantic is in the middle of the Pacific (Hawaii to be exact) always raises some interesting issues. The obvious one is why Atlantic? I believe at one time they were located in Florida.

The more relevant one is that the Hawaiian government has been very aggressive about tossing out unaccredited schools that don't offer substantive programs. The fact that AIU is still in business is testimony that it is a legit program. If you don't need an accredited degree that might be an angle to investigate.
Thanks William and Dan....I looked into AIU and will hopefully get a call back. The schools that are in Hawaii that are not Ra or NA are all solid, I agree. Hawaii has become very stringent and the existing schools are excellent and possibly on track for national accreditation. It seems that U of Chicago has always been the touchstone for archaeology and especially Egyptology. If I could turn back time, I may have taken the route to become a historian or student of antiquities. Thanks again ..you guys have punished my ribs and stomach with laughter......these posts get funnier and funnier, but relevant and necessary. I have always been a champion of DE and correspondence school.
UCLA offers a terminal "certificate" in Archaeology, through it's extension school. I'm not sure if it's on campus or offered through distance education. It could be a blending of both. May be fun to take a stab at...
Just picked up a great read......"The Tomb Builders of the Pharaohs, by Martin Bierbrier an English Egyptologist. Positively fascinating. He is a graduate of the University of Liverpool and Toronto.

I find it interesting that in Great Britain a person can complete an undergrad degree in approximately three years. From what I've gathered, a fourth year qualifies as being an "honors" year, tacked onto the B.A.

I can only assume that when a person "reads law or anthropology", for a three year B.A., they focus specifically on the major. I wonder if the British even take general ed. requirements, while pursuing the degree major? Any thoughts?
(05-06-2012, 01:26 AM)bigfoot Wrote: [ -> ]Just picked up a great read......"The Tomb Builders of the Pharaohs, by Martin Bierbrier an English Egyptologist. Positively fascinating. He is a graduate of the University of Liverpool and Toronto.

I find it interesting that in Great Britain a person can complete an undergrad degree in approximately three years. From what I've gathered, a fourth year qualifies as being an "honors" year, tacked onto the B.A.

I can only assume that when a person "reads law or anthropology", for a three year B.A., they focus specifically on the major. I wonder if the British even take general ed. requirements, while pursuing the degree major? Any thoughts?

As far as I understand it (UK uni graduate), the honors year is the rough equivalent of a double major. Rough, because there is no exact comparison. The honors year may in fact consist (the OU for example) of ONE double course (60 points)...in Athabasca (CA) terms, that is 30 credits, or 10 single courses (1year=120 B.A credits / 4 ).
But in the UK there is no such thing as an exact equivalent of the major...just lists of pre- and co-requisites (accounting does not presuppose anatomy).
As far as I know, there is no such rubbish as general education requirements (English, Science, public speaking, whatever) in the UK.
Athabascahas 6 cr science + 6 cr languages requirements.
I have a buddy, his wall is littered with diplomas....this guy has more degrees than a thermometer.
He's got RA mixed with DETC mixed with State Approved mixed with Hawaiian diplomas. He likes the diversity of his diplomas and views them all as equally legal and valid. Nice..
California State Approved schools have been part of California'a "master plan" in post-secondary education, since they were developed in the 70's. Even Pacific Western university, was always "state approved"......the Hawaiian programs were legal and valid as well, just not as strong as the state approved Pacific Western University...still, always legal and valid...and now DETC Accredited as well as state approved. They also have another federally recognized form of accreditation. PWU was always outstanding...along with California Pacific University. Ongoing Education....so very many options.
(05-06-2012, 04:43 PM)bigfoot Wrote: [ -> ]I have a buddy, his wall is littered with diplomas....this guy has more degrees than a thermometer.
He's got RA mixed with DETC mixed with State Approved mixed with Hawaiian diplomas. He likes the diversity of his diplomas and views them all as equally legal and valid. Nice..

There are many of us here who enjoy learning for the sake of learning. As with your friend, it's the subject matter that appeals to us, so we don't distinguish which administrative body, if any, the knowledge was filtered through.

Unfortunately there are some stalkers, civil rights violators, slanderers and hackers out there who think other people shouldn't have ready access to that knowledge unless it's been sanitized for their protection by government union goons. They want to limit access and destroy free markets and free thought.

Frankly it amazes me that anyone in a free society would give such nazis the time of day. It's a sad comment on the current state of affairs that there are pols and government paper shufflers who think they can get traction with such fascistic notions.

[Image: degreenazi.jpg]
Has your degree passed through Der Sphincter's orifice of scrutiny?
Pages: 1 2